The Irish Mail
400km cycling event starting from Upton Magna, E of Shrewsbury. Controls at Lake Vyrnwy, Trawsfynydd, Llanberis, Holyhead, Menai Bridge and Llangollen, plus 2 information controls. ENTRY CLOSED-EVENT FULL***The return of a classic. Traverse Snowdonia twice on your way across North Wales to Holyhead and back. 'Bryan Chapman meets the Elenith' - Martin Malins 2008.
Start with an early morning visit to Shrewsbury then a fast run into Wales for breakfast at Lake Vyrnwy. Seriously hilly middle section over the Bwlch y Groes and the mountain road to Trawsfynydd then past Snowdon to Llanberis where you can recover over a pint of tea in Pete's Eats. Cross the Menai Bridge onto the flatter terrain of Anglesey and the turn at Holyhead. Easy to navigate overnight return along Telford's Irish Mail coach road. Entry fee includes food at start & finish plus catered overnight control at Llangollen (347k). Camping available at Upton Magna village hall Fri & Sat for a small charge.
- 400 km in 27h00
- Saturday 9th June 2018
- 07:00 to finish by + 10:00
- Starting from:
- Upton Magna , E of Shrewsbury
- £10.00 ( )
- Event entries are now via
the audax.uk website:
Go to audax.uk web page to Login and Enter this event
A This is an AAA-adjusted event - the AAA points assessment has been revised, relative to the Audax UK hardcopy Calendar.
This does NOT necessarily imply that the route has changed.
Change of AAA
- 04:48 BST
- 21:31 BST
- C F G L P R T Z
- Parking free or reasonably priced, at start
- Camping at or near start
- Toilets at the start
- Left luggage secure(ish) at the start
- Refreshments free or reasonably priced, at start and/or finish
- Food some free food and/or drink provided on the ride
- Sleeping facilities en route
- GPS files available from organiser
- John Hamilton
- CTC Shropshire
- Entries to:
- John Hamilton
(event closed - contact details removed)
- 15-25 kph
- Total Climb:
- 5050m [4900m for AAA]
- Event No:
The following extra information has been provided by the event organiser:
For your own security, always virus-check any file you download before opening it. To download a file, right-click on it and use 'Save' or 'Save Target'.
- Download 50r.zip updated 22.05.18
- Download 50g.zip updated 22.05.18
- If you intend to navigate using GPS, please remember that this event includes 2 Information controls - check the Routesheet
- See outline map below.